Friday, June 26, 2020

Learning from Hagar and Sarah (Sermon preached 21 June 2020)

Given all that has been happening in this country in the last few weeks around racism and injustice, it’s pretty amazing, isn’t it, that the reading from the Old Testament for today, two days after Juneteenth, involves Hagar and Sarah, a Black slave-woman and her mistress.

 

Earlier this week, as I was marveling about that fact, I remembered a conversation I had maybe 18 years ago. I was in my early 40s and back in school, commuting from the small town where we lived in north-central Pennsylvania to the Lutheran Seminary in Philadelphia, which is all the way down in the southeast corner of the state. Driving across Interstate-80 through rolling farmland, up into the Poconos, and then down the northeast extension into Philly’s northern suburbs – Conshohocken, Plymouth Meeting, tony Chestnut Hill; and then under the railroad tracks into sketchy Germantown...(read more)

No comments:

Post a Comment